What Did Your Wife Say?
In a Harvard study of several hundred preschoolers, researchers discovered an interesting phenomenon. As they taped the children’s playground conversation, they realized that all the sounds coming from little girls’ mouths were recognizable words. However, only 60 percent of the sounds coming from little boys were recognizable. The other 40 percent were yells and sound effects like “Vrrrooooom!” “Aaaaagh!” “Toot toot!” This difference persists into adulthood.
Communication experts say that the average woman speaks over 25,000 words a day while the average man speaks only a little over 10,000. What does this mean in marital terms? . . . On average a wife will say she needs to spend 45 minutes to an hour each day in meaningful conversation with her husband. What does her husband sitting next to her say is enough time for meaningful conversation? Fifteen to twenty minutes–once or twice a week!
Scary huh? Couples can improve communication through “active listening” and by taking the time to set aside purposeful rendevous to share intimately where both will listen and share their hearts with each other. Loving communication can be a challenge or an adventure!
Husbands, in the same way be considereate as you live with your wives, and treat them with respect as the weaker partner and as heirs with you of the gracious gift of life, so that nothing will hinder your prayers. 1 Peter 3:7
The scriptural instruction is not a “put down” to women suggesting that they are “less than” their male counterparts. The Apostle Peter is instructing husbands to love and be kind to their wives because they have a mutual bond of fidelity and commitment that is being shared. He is saying that God takes our marital relationships seriously and that should be a humbling reminder to us all. Our prayer lives are effected by our spousal relationships! The quality of that relationship and communication that takes place in our homes is of great importance. Perhaps, we need to give “relationship and communication” some additional thought this week.